According to Law no. 291/2013 for the amendment of the Law no. 142/1998 regarding the meal tickets published into the Official gazette no. 701/ 15.11.2013 starting Feb. 2014 all employers will have the option to grant meal tickets to their employees, in a new manner, electronically.
These can be granted more precisely in the form of cards that will function as an electronic wallet and is an alternative to the current format used – on paper.
Electronically meal tickets are electronic vouchers intended exclusively for the allowance of food provided to employees. They can be issued in the form of a card, which will not have features resembling a credit card, due to the fact that withdrawing cash amounts from it will not be allowed.
Thus electronically meal tickets will not have below specific functions of bank cards:
- will not have a payment personal account attached
- cash withdrawal function will be unavailable, thus withdrawal operations will be unavailable from ATM’s
The electronic meal ticket will be valid only if it has registered on the card the following information:
- name and surname of the employee granted for;
- name and address of the company that issued them;
- validity period;
- prohibition alert – regarding its use for the purchase of cigarettes or alcoholic beverages